R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Durango DETC410
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 02:23 PM
32819toon
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B.C.Ninja
The Ballstud/Hub issue isn't really an issue and is present in close to every TC out there, all TC's that I have owned that setup their camber links like this are all in the same boat, you have to buy longer ones if you want to run extra shims under them, one way around it is to remove an inside shim rather than add an outside.

The Turnbuckle issue is due to them being aluminium, and TBH you must be having some pretty hard impacts to bend them, the only way to bend them would be a solid side impact directly to the top of the wheel, in which case upgrading to titanium will prevent the turnbuckle from bending but you may just transfer that force to another part of the car such as the hub, would you happen to know the type of impact that has bent yours?
The AE TC6 & 6.1 you had to buy shorter turnbuckles to be able to run the inside camber link holes, so yes, top end TC's you do need to buy replacement turnbuckles for.

I race mine on a large outdoor track, we have old steel plow discs for corner markers and pvc trunking connected together by bits of 4x2 for markers on the straights, I'm running the car in 13.5 Boosted and my other in 21.5 Boosted, in 13.5 my car is getting up to around the 100kph mark as the straight is quite long, if I hit anything at this speed regardless of car, I would break something, yet so far I haven't broken a thing on the Durango, why, because I tend not to outdrive my ability, keep the car within the track markers and steer clear of other cars. I'd suggest that if you are continually breaking parts from impacts, then I would start to look at preventing the impacts as this would seem to be the cause and not the car, if you don't hit anything you won't break anything ad you'll finish the race.
What you say makes sense but is not necessarily the case. My bent turnbuckle came after clipping an upright corner marker. We run on a small, tight indoor track, so speeds aren't really that high. I take all you say on board about breakages, but in two years of running the Spec R car, we've haven't had anything like this level of breakages. My 12 year old has ran the car at seven meetings, and has returned home 7 times with a broken car. I also return with breakages. That isn't good, and is unacceptable for a high end car. If we were having alot of high speed, high impact crashes, then I would agree with everything you have said, and I wouldn't complain, but we aren't.