R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Exotek F1R
Thread: Exotek F1R
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 05:54 AM
J-PaP
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDR
Had my first run with the IFS this evening and overall impressions are very positive. Generally, the whole front end is much more progressive and predictable which has made the car easier to drive.

My first learning is that the inner camber link ball studs I used were too short and one popped out after a relatively minor hit. I then replaced both of them with 8mm ones (see picture).

However, I'm finding rear grip a bit of a problem with my F1R2 (even before the IFS), so I'm looking for suggestions. My current choice of centre springs is limited, so I'm running a Tamiya red (white with the red dot) which is probably the softest I have. On-power steering isn't too bad, but it pushes quite badly off power. I have quite a lot of pod droop, most likely too much, but I'll need to put an o-ring in the damper to reduce it any more. That may sound like the rear isn't too bad, but that's with Ride S1's up front and Shimizu 575's at the back. With anything grippier on the front, it spins very easily. It's also very difficult to get power down out of corners as the rear squirms very badly.

I've attached some photos - silver side springs, 450 weight oil in the centre damper, 100k oil in the side damper tubes. The pod movement is smooth and seems quite heavily damped. Despite appearances, the wiring is loose and flexible.

I'm no expert, but the diff seems smooth and only slips under quite firm hand pressure.

The tracks I race on are almosAnt always low-medium grip outdoor asphalt.

Phil.
For rear grip I would reduce your rear droop to 2mm by reducing the shock length (not with o rings in the shock). There should be plenty of thread to do this if you relocate the ball end on the battery brace to the forward hole instead of the rearward one as you have it curretly. Looks like you must have the standard length trf shock not the mini trf shock hence you've run out of thread.

I'd also move your battery to the back and rewire your esc to be infront of your battery.

damper tube grease should be closer to 10k not 100k.

shock oil should be a bit thinner. Probably close to 300-400cst with a 3 hole shock piston.

With the IFS I would assume rear grip is more the priority. There should be plenty of front grip.