R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HoBao H4E Pro touring car kit
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 05:47 PM
rcwck
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hipwell
Another issue I have just come across is that even with the rear shocks wound all the way up the lowest I can get my ride height is 5.5mm. Ideally I want 5mm.

I'm using the short plastic bit on the end of the shock and it's wound all the way to the last thread.
There's lotsa factors that play into obtaining that 5mm ride height. The short piston shaft ends screwed on all the way is just one factor. The shock angles, the stiffness of the shock springs and the weight of the car are some other factors.

I have on some occasions on this car cut the spring length to obtain that 5mm ride height. I have only had to cut 1/2 winding off the springs to get to that 5mm number. After cutting the spring I reshape that cut end as best as possible to a flat end coil and always place that cut end on the shock first. Make sure that both shock springs are the same length after cutting/shaping.

Droop can be confusing. If you use a droop gauge and blocks the bigger the number becomes on the gauge the less droop you have. Droop is how far the chassis is lifted in mm when the tires just lift off the set up board. This lifting is from the center of the front and rear of the chassis one at a time. The chassis must remain parallel to the set up board left to right.

The starting point I like is 3mm front and 5mm rear. Droop is a very good tuning devise to help with car driving characteristics. I am always messing with droop. It's absolutely important for left and right settings to be the same.