R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T's Kyosho GT2 project - 56 mm motor
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Dr_T
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Reaper1ct
isnt there a cst reading on the 500w? my 500000 is almost like......uhm....well it hardly runs when you use it.
remember the thicker the oil the more diff action you get, the lighter you go the more diff action so consider that when choosing. center diff is also crucial.
No cSt, Traxxas only mentions "weight", ... and of course that I should rinse my mouth if I eat it . Here's a post from a German website where someone actually says his 500k WT Traxxas fluid is thinner than his 300k CPS=cSt FG (1/5 scale brand) fluid: http://www.rcindependent.com/wbb3/in...441#post723441.

I'll be running a spool in the center, so ∞ cSt . In my Truggy, I use some non RC-specific "industrial" 2.000.000 cSt fluid in the center, as with the 500k Traxxas stuff, there was still so much diff action, the diff ran hotter (~85°C) than I liked it to.

Originally Posted by Yb2fast
Dr T...on my Inferno GT1 VE track car running a mamba monster esc & motor I only use Kyosho diff oil... Center 50K, Front 120K & rear 30K...car runs faster laps than my GT1MP777 Nitro car >>>
Thanks for the reference! In the front that's relatively close to what XO-1 comes out of the box with too, 100k/10k (F/R), but a bit heavier in the back. I like the idea of going a bit heavier. I will start out with the 500k WT Traxxas stuff ~ <300k cSt front and 40k cSt rear. I was a bit afraid that might be too high in the back, but if your 30k rear is working well for you on track, the 40k should not be too noticeably heavy for my fooling around at the parking lot .

Originally Posted by ViperZ
Cool project, I'm interested in seeing how it shakes out!
Thanks! I like your sig ... same here

Haven't gotten much work done lately, still gathering parts and ideas. Got the Ofna DM-1 center spool mount as an alternative spur-to-pinion adapter, or plan B, would the XO-1 cushdrive option fail. Thought I could run it with all the 44T-49T Ofna spurs, but the 44T is too small and seems to require the newer X3 spool mount. The DM-1 uses an 8 mm tranny shaft, so I'll make a little bore reducer to fit it to the 6 mm motor shaft of the 5682.

Also ordered a not too expensive 30T 6 mm bore pinion on aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spur-...954767631.html, which I can use as a spur on the 6 mm dia tranny shaft, to increase gearing options a bit. I would have liked the idea of the 24T pinion as a spur, to avoid the necessity of those insane big pinions, but unfortunately I need at least ~39 mm shaft-to-shaft distance, or else the motor will hit the rear chassis brace. It does provide an option for some very extreme gearing though, 49/24 and 54/24 (pinion/spur) gearing fits and yields 225 kph (140 mph) and 248 kph (154 mph) no-load speed respectively, but I have little illusion the poor Turnigy motor and batteries will appreciate that very much.

New gearing chart - the Ofna 49T pinion on the 30T aliexpress spur, yields 180 kph (112 mph) no-load wheel-speed at nominal Voltage. Note that green just means it fits, and not necessarily that it's wise to do .

Last edited by Dr_T; 12-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.