R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - G-Force Motor Checker
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Slapmaster6000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I like to tinker. Dyno's are something that I have dabbled in for years. I haven't gone the Turbo Dyno or the Fantom Dyno route, just haven't. Playing with the GForce, first thing I wish it would do is test under load. I see that it has a 30a max output, so I don't want to get aggressive load wise or I'll pop it.

I can't find free spin rpm as useful info.

KV rating is nice to know, but again, I do not see a transferable number to gear ratios or comparing other motors and have performance results show up as a result.

I am building a torque dyno that will measure rpm at set loads. It looks like something Tony Stark built in a cave with Fred Flintstone. Its rough. Its just concept. It looks like a torque wrench with brushless motors hooked up. The goal is to see how much torque can be produced at some fixed loads, read the rpm at that load, compare various timing, shimming, rotor strengths, etc.

Since I have pretty good race results, I know what a good motor should be. I can baseline result from there. From that, I can calculate motor rpm at top speed as a load test. Then I will select some loads less then that rpm as midfield load tests. I will be able to plot out info with that data.

I am hopeful this project will let me recognize patterns that will show up on the GForce too. The GForce is really easy to use in the field. The best feature it shows is the actual timing.

I am only a pretend motor guy that is trying to learn more. I have a lot of concept and pretty decent imagination. Creating something useful is pretty rewarding.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Brian