R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 12-15-2014, 05:38 PM
mjbtaco
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
Man, I'm really not liking my B5M that much right now. Something in the rear end is really wonky on all the setups I've tried and those I've come up with on my own. I'm really of the opinion that the team setups are kinda just on the edge of working right and my experience has been that if you change them much, the whole car just comes unglued. This is a rather different experience than when I had my RB6 MM which was kinda polar opposite in the fact that you could really hork the setup and it was hard to get the thing to drive horribly. The B5M just seems like all ducks have to be in a row for the thing to not be just an absolute hand full on the track. Try and change the setup even in small amounts and rear gets affected like you just threw a dart at the wall or rolled the dice.

Now, I don't want to speak bad of the platform, I'm sure I can figure it out, but I guess I'm just registering my opinion now that the team setups are just kinda far out there and going the wrong direction in my opinion. I could be wrong, I'm ready to admit that is a definite possibility, but I feel the rear end of the car is really struggling from a design perspective with the correct balance between high speed and low speed chassis roll. To me, it feels like the rear end's progression is wrong, like the thing has too much chassis roll initially, but wants it deeper in the corner. The fact that any time I put green springs on, the thing feels like instant poop instead of just a little off leads me to believe it's just sitting on the edge of the rear end working. It reminds me of when we went to the big bores on the b4 platform and the rear was just so different and broken initially until we figured it out.

I'm going to spend some serious time with geometry, rear roll center, perhaps sway bars, and shock angles. Something's funny with the platform in general IMHO.

Take it or leave it.

Wayne

I was having pretty much the same issues you explained here, it seems like most setups around the Web are just at the edge of being out of control when pushing them hard. I had to create my own setup to fit my driving style. My car has a ton of rear traction and it's extremely predictable all the time. It still had a bunch of steering g as well. I'm not saying this will solve your problems but I know this setup has worked extremely well for me and my driving style and track conditions. It's even pretty different from what other people are using at my track. I've ran this setup in both mod and stock with great success. Only difference in mod is I ran all the stock drive train components (no lightweight stuff)

Last edited by mjbtaco; 12-16-2014 at 01:59 AM.