Thread: USGT spec tires
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 PM
dragonracing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bshookup
My ears are burning!

I have limited experience with the RIDE tires, but I'm sold. They do everything that you want a spec tire to do, and you can't beat the price. I haven't yet heard anyone say something bad about them.

Straight out of the package they hooked up at Fantasy World, and then I took them down to NorCal and they hooked up at their track just fine too. With about 8 battery packs on them, they are starting to show some wear as can be expected, but they are still raceable, and although I have no proof, my bet is that you would get more runs out of them than some D compound tires.

If I was running the scale spec class and had the choice, I would choose RIDE USGT tires over the D compounds because:
1) They cost 15 to 20 dollars less a set
2) They handle more like a TC tire than VTA tires do, so a "normal" setup is more likely to work
3) They likely last longer

I don't think a club would need to spec a pre-mount. As far as I know, NorCal has a gentleman's agreement to use the stock foam, and it hasn't been a problem. Heck, the Northwest Scale Spec class has had a gentleman's agreement that everyone uses the stock foam in the D compound tires. Why make things more complicated. I glued up my tires on some +2 offset wheels to help fill out a 200mm body. If the Gravity pre-mounts were spec'd, then everyone would likely gravitate to 190mm bodies and some variety may be lost.

To make a change locally, Northwest, to the RIDE tire, I don't think it is really is about whether it is a better spec tire (I believe it is). I think it is more about whether you want to risk fixing something that isn't broken. The current Northwest Scale Spec rules have been serving us well for years, and maybe they don't need tweaking. One thing to think about is that in the Northwest we lump VTA style cars with GT cars and there may be some people who really like the look of a VTA car and would stop racing Scale Spec if they had to use USGT tires. Most other regions have both a VTA class and a USGT class.

- Brian
I think its only on the table for the CARS series next summer for the scale spec class. but...i would like to see the class split into two. a true vta with the full weight etc. and the gt class running the class tires etc. That way driver could participate in the national points system thats going on. but its not up to me. its just my opinion. but i do like the idea of using a spec tire in a spec class that currently has 2 different types of tire. granted they are the same compound but they have different handling characteristics. the vta tires have been dubbed the "pillows" and handle as such. and the x patterns that feel a little more like a race tire. personal preference in what you run. but i would like to see a true spec tire for the series next summer. but i dont think the guys that like to run the vta bodies would like it as it might detract from the "look" that they desire. I do agree with what Mr Shook has stated.