R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Gayosaka
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8RC
Considering putting the 3 gear tranny in my mm 17.5 car. Anyone done this have advice? What all will i need to do aside from just changing the box/removing a gear
I tried that (before the B5M ones!). The idea was to get more on-power steering from the RB6 on tight astro tracks.
When using the rear-motor 3-gear tranny, fitting is easy but the motor ends up on the wrong side, you have to get it to run backwards. AFAIK, even the best ESC available now don't have a proper "backwards" CW motor setup, you lose all the timing adjustment, it is like running a sensorless ESC. This may be less of a problem on a blinky class though.

So I went one step further and drilled my tranny case in order to have the motor on the correct side. It is not an easy task as you have to shim the slipper shaft precisely (as it only sits on the edge of the bearing) and build a custom tranny spacer. I tried it back to back on my home track but the grip was low (wet astro) and TBH I didn't felt any difference . I will try it again when the weather gets better and the grip comes back. It won't be before april though.
HTH