R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 07:25 PM
hairless_ape
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
I most disagree to a point.
I have tried many cheaper brands of electronics, they may work well. But if compared to many of the high end components they fall short in durability, ease of use, size and programmability. I also like being able to email the company about a problem or question and actually getting an answer. I love the ability to plug my Tekin ESC up to my phone and changing any setting.
I set up a vta car for my son with the speed passion combo and unless I purchased the additional timing inserts there was no way I could get it up to speed. So when you add up the cost of those the cost is closer to many main stream brands.

The motor is one of the damned if you do damned if you don't.

Now I do believe the Novak motor should be $20-$25 cheaper, the same as an over the counter Trinity Tekin and so.
You have to plug your esc into your phone? That's so quaint. Toro and SpeedPassion both have bluetooth adapters, that allow me to set my ESC's up wirelessly. It's great for making adjustments during practice, you don't even have to get off the stand. [sarcasm]That's such a low end feature, I wish they'd make them more driver friendly.[/sarcasm]

I agree, a box stock SP V3 motor is not very affective for 17.5 blinky. The MMM motors are a better choice for blinky out of the box. However, those timing inserts are only $20, which only only brings the motor cost up to $50. That's still half the cost of most ROAR motors.

Trackstar ROAR motors don't need a timing insert to get "full" adjustment, so you can keep right at 1/3 the cost instead of 1/2.