R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Chaz955i
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I still think and I get blasted everytime I mention it you need the fast guys to stay out of the lower classes and not have the intimidation factor for the entry level folks. Off road does a very good job of that. You just don't have the pros running in mod and then "for fun or for more race time" drop in a 17.5 and go kill everyone.

The fire back is always "well don't worry they will put you in the F Main. Why wouldn't you want to race with the best. This isn't kids soccer where everyone gets a trophy"

Here is the problem and I am speaking from experience as I am just getting into on road. All the tough guys that have been running on road forever can say whatever they want. Reality is when a kid or just a newbie for that matter shows up to a track and the fast guys are running in every class just so they can get run time, it intimidates the crap out of the newbie's. They don't want to get in the way or cause an accident so they just don't race. It happened to me the first time I tried to get into on road at a different track. The fast guys ran every class and were quick to be pissed if a newbie bumped them. So I tried off road for a while.

Having said that I think it is also up to the track owner and the guys their racing. At our local track it is awesome. The fast guys run in the mod or expert class and they leave the lower classes for the newbie's. The solution is working as we continue to grow every race and now they are going to need to blow out a wall for more pit spaces ;-)

Doesn't matter what the "entry" class is. You can always find an inexpensive used car on RCTech.

Just my $.02.
Something to keep in mind is many tracks do not have turnouts large enough to break classes into novice/expert. The extra entries from the fast guys running multiple classes is helping keep the doors open. While you might be correct that breaking the fast guys out into their own classes might be good for the long term health of the hobby it does nothing to ensure the rent gets paid today.

I can't speak to what racing experience you have but I've competed in road cycling, motocross and downhill skiing, all at the amatuer level which is probably the worst for people acting like dipshits, and in every instance it was tough being the new guy, trying to stay out of the way and occassionally getting yelled at. Competition brings out the best and worst in people. Nothing unique about RC in this regard.