R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:54 AM
JRnotEwing
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

At MMR, where I race, we don't run USVTA, We Run a version that was one of the stages during it's development and call it MMRVTA. 17.5 1s 1280g. It's relatively slow but nimble and is a great entry class. Teaches line and the importance of corner speed. Hardly ever breaks. And very tight racing. This year we added USGT and it's a great stepping stone to 17.5 TC which we also run. Yes, that's 3 touring car classes, but with a 1.5 second difference in lap times each. So there is a difference. I know USVTA is popular, but I can't really see much of a speed difference to USGT, and VTA bodies are allowed in USGT so it fits both the older guy looking to run his Mustang as well as the young guy with his Honda.
17.5 TC and 1/12 stock in our area is national level racing. Wicked fast and filled with guys that can A in Vegas or Birds. No place for an entry guy. Mod TC would only be maybe .3 faster and couldn't fill an A, or if it did, only suck from 17.5.
It's a constant battle to try and talk the entry guy into the slow class. Instead he jumps into 17.5 TC, has no success, breaks often, and goes away. So I don't believe the answer is to shove people into one class or nothing. See it for the tight race and not the speed.

And for those of you experiencing a surge in onroad, enjoy it. It feels like we're in a low point of the cycle right now here. SUPPORT your local club racing!! GO when it's open, or it may not be there when you want it to be. And support the new guys. Congratulate them when they win! Don't be that guy that walks off the stand after winning by a lap and says "Man, my car was junk!".