R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Maui Off-Road racing thread
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 02:34 AM
fullwatts
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyU
Its sad to hear that there's no organized off road racing on Maui. I remember the off road track next to IHOP back in the days, all the championship races the Maui racers held that I went to. I rememeber Garret, George, Sandy, Paige, Arnold, and others.

Is there any on road racing going on?
Yes, its a sad time right now. The on road raceway behind Treats & Sweets was lost in 2013 as well. With the closing of the Kahului and Wailuku hobby stores there's only one hobby store left on Maui in Lahaina. That store doesn't really focus on racing, more high end hobby grade stuff, crawlers and drifters from what I can tell. As far as I know there is no on-road racing going on in any formal (or informal) capacity right now.

I'm really hoping to generate some interest again and hopefully get some casual club racing going, at least some Short Course or even an open class, just to get the kids back into it and involved. My reasoning here is that SC is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to get started. The cars and batteries are relatively inexpensive and durable. On-road while a bit easier track wise, is more unforgiving in the durability area.

I'd love to jump on a plane and fly over to Oahu and race with the crew over there, but flying with all the tools and cars and batteries is a PITA, so I'd prolly have to ship the gear both ways, then buy tickets, rental car, make arrangements to crash at a friends place, etc, and at that point I'm into a couple hundred bucks for a days worth of fun, and I still don't manage to get any Maui Keiki involved.

It's a real shame to see it fade out like this but I just keep reminding myself to keep a long term outlook. It might not be back this year or next, but if I keep working on it and don't give up, there's a chance.