R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 PM
ray_munday
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
I am curious what your thoughts may be on the following:

My B5M is almost perfect. We run on a medium to lower traction surface indoors. The B5M has been fantastic taking the win last weekend. I would like to obtain just a little more rear grip or forward bite upon corner exit. The car tends to step out a little bit right when you pick up the throttle on exit. Keep in mind again car is really good and this can be managed with throttle, however I was curious what a few of you thing of these options... I will test some later this week as well.

1. Go down in rear spring rate to allow rear to drop faster on throttle currently on white and may try green.
2. Go down in rear shock oil. Currently at 30 may try 27.5 with the 1.6 piston
3. Go down to 0 degrees anti-squat vs current 1 degree
4. Go up in front spring rate as I am currently on green and may go up to white or gray.
5. Move battery back as it is one foam from back position now.

Being car is still rotating off corner would a role center change improve this as well. I am running Schelle Caster Plate in up position with no shims.

Thanks!

JRF
I race in Australia and we have a huge range of traction conditions, even on the one track on the one day! Ive found that the MM is as fast as the RM on loose conditions, and much faster as the grip comes up. We cant change cars during the day so I basically only run my 5M and tune it for the conditions.

The optimum change will depend on whether the car is still loaded up in the corner when you are applying power, or whether it is on the exit of a hairpin where it is a more pure forward acceleration situation.

I would sugggest:
- move the battery back (and/or use the brass c pivot). This will give the biggest change in forward traction on exit and after tight corners, but can cause some on power push in higher grip. Use RM arms with short wheelbase for a little more forward traction. (Note: when the track gets really slippery I use a brass D pivot, and sometimes 10-20g behind the tower. With an LP servo, this weight bias is similar to RM but with the mass more centralised. The great thing about MM is its easy to take weight off the rear as the grip comes up).
- for springs I use green/green in lower traction, white/white in med traction, and white fr/green rr for more rear traction. Using softer rear springs will help rear traction through the corner, not so much difference in a straight line.
- personally I prefer 2 deg anti-squat as it feels more direct on corner exit in lower traction, but can take away a little rear grip mid corner.
- A lower rear roll centre will help, but it sounds like you are already quite low.

I run rear ride height 1mm lower than the front, and the rear shocks on the inner hole of the tower.
Make sure the diff isnt too loose, as its much easier to diff out an MM than a RM.

Hope this helps.

ray