R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 11-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Cpt.America
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McCroskey
Thanks. I hadn't thought about weight bias. What role does the motors torque and RPM play in the making a choice? I'm thinking a low torque motor would have a hard time spinning a larger pinion with a small spur vs a small pinion with a larger spur. I've tried different combinations and I'm not getting the results I expect..
No no no.. Larger pinion AND larger spur, can give you the same gear ratio. Smaller pinion AND smaller spur, can give you the same gear ratio. It simply moves the motor forward or backwards without changing your gearing.

What you just said here above, was larger pinion and SMALLER spur. Which changes your gearing.

You need to gear your motor/car correctly first, regardless of where you decide to place the motor in the car (farther forward, or father back). For example, you might choose 69/31 to keep the motor further back, or 72/32 to move it slightly more forward (same basic gearing).