R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USGT Motor question..
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 08:39 PM
John Wallace2
Tech Fanatic

First let me set the stage: While I race USGT, we use Texas Electric Onroad Series rules (TEOS) rules. While those rules for USGT are similar to USVTA USGT rules, they are not the same. One of the differences is there is no prohibition on the use of tuning rotors. I've been running a Team Powers 21.5 motor most of the summer with the same rotor that came in the motor. The Kill Shot motor examples I use here are just to illustrate the issue I see with the USVTA USGT motor rule on tuning rotors expressed by RobK here in this thread which is:

[QUOTE=robk;13673625]Pretty simple did your rotor come in the motor? If yes its legal to use.

Here is the problem with that rule.

Take two Kill Shot 21.5 RPM (stator) motors in the Maxzilla configuration (i.e., with the 12.5mm high torque turquoise rotor -TEP1112). BOth the motor and rotor are ROAR legal. One is purchased with that rotor already installed (REV1603RM) and is USVTA USGT legal. One was purchased with the standard 12.3mm broadband rotor (REV1603R) and later updated to the Maxzilla configuration with the purchase of a 12.5mm high torque turquoise rotor (TEP1112). However, this upgraded motor although identical in configuration to the first is not USGT legal because that tuning rotor did not come with the motor originally.

Here are the issues that I think make this rule as interpreted by Robk absurd.

1. There is no way to enforce this rule as there is no way to inspect these two identically configured motors to tell which one came with the high torque rotor installed and which one was upgraded to have the high torque rotor.

2. The rule itself forces racers to buy entire new motors for different tracks or track conditions or just to keep up with newer motors, instead of just changing out the rotor (at a fraction of the cost of a new motor).

3. Why prohibit only tuning rotors as they are not the only way you can "tune" a motor? For example, the Kill Shot has two types of stators (high RPM and High Torque) and you can tune the motor by changing the type of stator without changing the rotor. So even if you could eliminate the tuning rotors, there are still the issues with the Stators.

4 You can get around the no tuning rotor rule by simply buying a motor with the tuning rotor already installed.

5 What is a tuning rotor, if having it come installed makes it become not a tuning rotor?

Setting rules is challenging at best. But if one rule can be circumvented by simply buying a motor with a "tuning rotor" ready installed, what is the point of having the no tuning rotor rule in the first place?

Give RObK some feedback: Eliminate the tuning rotor rule for USGT: Yes or No?

I vote Yes eliminate it - RObK has already made it superfluous anyway. Lets just give every racer the opportunity to get an ROAR approved tuning rotor less than 12.51mm diameter without having to buy an entire new motor.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 11-23-2014 at 09:03 PM.