R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Election
Thread: ROAR Election
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

I take a day off from work, avoid RC Tech, and thought I would come back to an outline for a new organization with a list of 25 volunteers to make it work.

Originally Posted by MDawson
There must surely be another Write-in candidate for membership to submit that would be a viable option, be supported by a vocal base and frankly have voting majority that is rather turn-key.

I may end up under a bus for this but Rick Hohwart http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...wart-8926.html has a closer pulse to the racer, has more industry experience than most others and is frankly actively + transparent. It's good to vent about Eric's situation and how yet again ROAR needs a good clean up and media training! There is an opportunity to get someone into the seat that with this vocal base can move the organization closer to its members.
It is inevitable that I become ROAR president some day. When I am done racing seriously and can use that time to do it properly, I will. I would even consider it now but I am not eligible. But thanks for the consideration.

Originally Posted by hairy
O.K I have sat and read all of this from the beginning. It seems to me that nothing can or will be done about the decision that R.O.A.R. has made, so if you want change ,play the game they want. Let this go...for now, Eric If you want to be president and I agree ,you would be a breath of fresh air for this organization, keep your membership current and the next cycle that comes around for a vote we can do it all over again...by their rules, in their own back yard.
We won't get change posting on here but we can work now to insure that the person we all seem to want to lead this organization WILL BE ELECTED by their rules in the next cycle.
It is time for a change. R.O.A.R. didn't get this way over night and we won't change it that fast either.
Even the greatest journey starts with one step.
IMPROVISE...ADAPT....AND OVERCOME!
Just my opinion.... folks just an observation.
now back to your regularly scheduled postings
This is a sensible suggestion.

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
True, but those are guidelines. And I'm a ROAR member, yet I still have ZERO say in the matter since they choose to rig elections, Approve stuff like speedo software, then disallow it, approve a motor, then ban it, etc. They can't properly execute their own rules, and bow to manufacturer interests. Sad really....
I will fully endorse you in the position of ROAR technical Director. You know the problems and issues and have the experience to set ROAR down the right path.

Originally Posted by losi888
1. They can improve by getting more people involved. Similar to what the TCS series has done for Tamiya. Have a funster class.
2. Change the class structure;
A. Get rid of 17.5 and go to 21.5 or even 25.5 for the lowest class. This will make 13.5 class grow
B. Get rid of VTA there is all ready a set of rules that USVTA has, no need to reinvent the wheel
C. At national events spec motor classes should be handouts (similar to the ETS)
3. Get feed back from the racers. Honor what the majority of the racers want, when there is different interpatation of rules.
Originally Posted by samnelso
4. Continue to simplify the rule book by removing antiquated text. Consider splitting the rule book into a general section, an onroad section, and an offroad section. I recognize retaining consistency across multiple revision controlled documents is challenging, but splitting the book is something to consider.

5. Create a common place for members to express suggestions, concerns, etc. Possibly a suggestion box on the ROAR site? Could make it anonymous. Maybe the ROAR forums is this place. I believe the forum is locked to member posts, but am not certain. I recall attempting to sign up for the forum so I could post, but found it cumbersome and believe it was locked.

6. Streamline tech inspections at National events. I recognize the inspectors are volunteers (I believe at least) and there is much difficulty tearing down motors (I have elec. experience only), but the process could be streamlined. Consider creating a quick reference sheet to tell attendees what will be expected for tech and email that to them upon signup.
Co-competition directors! You guys would make great volunteers. If you don't volunteer for ROAR I look forward to your work in the "new" organization.

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
1. Streamline the classes. There is no need to have 11 different classes at a race. That may bring us back closer to the mod/stock days of a-z mains. I know I would be more proud of finishing in the C main of a class with an O main, than finishing in the A with only one main behind you.
2. Use a semi-regional race to seed the regional.
3. Use the regional results to seed the nationals.
4. Require attendance at the regional to qualify for the National.
5 At the National, only the racers who attended the Regional can be able to win the National. Any racer can race in the class. For example, Joe can finish first in the main and win the race, but the top finishing racer that attended a regional ,Pete, places 3rd and is the actual National Champion.

To me, this puts a emphasis on racing at the local level, instead of just practicing for the "big" race and hoping your ducks and stars are aligned that weekend.
We are talking about R/C racing here. The more classes you have the more winners you have. You would appreciate this- ROAR runs a single 1/8 nitro buggy class at the Nats meaning everyone runs together while one of the largest non-sanctioned nitro races runs 1/8 buggies divided into Sportsman, Open, Pro, Over-40, and Over 40 Pro classes . Racers WANT a lot of classes. The good old days are not coming back.

The regional system can work but like anything else, it takes man power. But this is where the people who don't like what ROAR is dong can make a difference on the regional level.