R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 748 200mm nitro onroad kit
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 02:34 PM
1FastVW
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan_vector
We were given the new diffs (front and rear) as well as a new compact 2 speed gearbox to try at the worlds. Massive improvement over the previous units. The new diffs are lower volume and seal much better too. The diffs are about 5gr less weight (filled) over the stock 747 units each. Well worth waiting for...

The compact 2 speed is smaller fly weights and 2nd gear alu bell. The result is better and more consistent changes. I also noticed that the car would hold 2nd gear using the torque of the engine better while in high load fast sweepers rather than drop inconsistently back to 1st which unsettled the rear of the car.

We also had a new brass front forward lower suspension bracket (where the pivot pins are secured by the allen screw) which weighed 37grams that really helped in keeping the front end down in the crazy high grip at the worlds track. We also ended up putting lots of weight on the bumper as well (I had 35 grams in the end).

Team Serpent (and in particular Michael Salven) support at the worlds was really second to none. The man worked from dawn till dusk supporting all the Serpent drivers in supplying technical support, moral support as well as spares as required. This was far in excess of any manufacturer present at the event. Although Xray won with Alex Hagberg the 748 was very fast all week and to think it is just the beginning of the cars life is very exciting. I'm very happy!
So for those of us who recently purchased a 748...

1) when can we expect to purchase these upgrades (diff/2spd)
2) how much will this cost?

I heard there will be "reduced pricing," but what does that really mean when you just bought a brand new car?