R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - R1 Brushless Motors (Roar approved) 17.5,21.5 & 13.5
Old 11-17-2014, 04:04 AM
Jethroz
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by torg
After having a closer look inside the R1 and a killshot (and from talking to Mr R1 in person this weekend - I finally get what you were trying to explain ). "Timing" is not "built in" at all. In fact it is retarded in the classical "timing" sense and there is something non-electronic that is occurring, throwing the motolyser algorithm off completely. How, I don't know, writing the motolyser guys now to see their take on it.

Posted my findings here.

As I said... still learning... learned even more over the weekend.
Sounds like Mr R1 is blaming the cow for bad milk when they allowed it to graze in the onion fields.

It's science people. I've had to tweak/trash more R1 sensor assemblies than any other motor I have touched. Non-centered, non-level, sensors mounted uneven...it's a QC problem. I was handed a never-been-run 21.5 recently that the pinion-side bearing fell out during disassembly! Sure, it makes installing a new bearing easier but it shouldn't fall out. Think about what that bearing is going to do once a magnetic force and load is applied.

Do you think the reading you get on the G-Force/Motolyser/[insert-tool-here] is any different than what your speed control is receiving?

Now, I do think R1 motors are great motors. My R1 17.5 clearly outperformed my TP Actinium 17.5, but only after finding a sensor assembly with a variation less than 4*. I will state that the R1 stator coils and rotors have been the most consistent throughout - with only 1 dud rotor out of more than a handful.

Torg - I grabbed one of your tear-down pictures to illustrate. What's wrong with the sensor at the red arrow location? (throw it in the scrapper!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Slj4nvmh.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1248488