R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - what to get
Thread: what to get
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM
jeromerc
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
Boost and turbo refers to advanced timing settings in the ESC. Boost is typically a number of degrees added over a specified RPM range. Turbo is a number of degrees that come in at a specified rate, only at full throttle.

Basically the ideal moment for when each motor phase fires, in relation to the rotor position, changes as RPM increases. A sensored setup allows the ESC to know precisely where the rotor is and can spin a motor much faster by dynamically changing the timing of when the phases fire. To change these settings on most ESCs, you need their programmer box(card) or in the case of Tekin you would need their "Hotwire" link and an android device with their app or a laptop.

When playing with these settings it's best to start small and gradually increase until you get the desired performance without the motor or ESC getting too hot. Check temps every couple of minutes on track after changing any of these settings. It's easy to go too far, where you don't gain performance, just heat.

You're diving straight into the deep end of electric racing, which is usually discouraged. Hence some of the comments here. Good luck.
Thanks for your help. We run rubber and foam here most of the guys are using the lrp rubber tires but I have many left over from my NT1 so it doesn't matter what I run. When you said getting in to the deep end of racing is funny as there is really not much organization here mostly fun with a club race a week. But near my house I have a huge place on blacktop that is smooth with no cracks or patches and no traffic to play/practice and that is why I want tons of speed. Getting used to the feel is quite different than my NT1, and when I do get out with the others I will be competitive when it comes to car. Thanks again