R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - starter class?
Thread: starter class?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 07:20 AM
bigwavedave33
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

I have to give you props on this one bronson! I'd argue a little but just because Def start in a class where tires are the same so USGT or USVTA as its a given for traction. The rest is dialing the car in for a driver's particular driving style and abilities. It will help with the learning curve.

I will add one thing. When considering onroad, SETUP tools are a requirement as a single setting could mean ice skating to being to difficult to drive consistently. And the learning curve is steep at first. I think this is the thing that pushes most away from on road where offroad is mostly tires then setup.

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Best bet is USVTA, or if you like a little faster USGT. If you got the cahonez for it just start out in 17.5.

VTA: tires are most expensice out of three, but last a real long time on carpet, and you dont have to worry about others having better tires. Motor is the same way. But you can get a HobbyWing justock for really cheap and no worries. Batts are also fairly cheap since it is capped at 5000mah. Also you can get an older used chassis and still be very competative.

USGT: Cheapest tires of the three. Batts can get more expensive since you have no limits, motors are any manufacturer. But dont worry about having the motor of the week. Just get almost any 21.5 to start with.
It will be atleast one season before your motor is whats holding you back. Same thing goes for chassis and ESC as it did in VTA.

17.5 : Tires are middle ground price, last a while, but you have to find a tire that works for you. Its not too bad as there are really only 2 or 3 sets of premounts that dominate. Get what the hot shoe at your track gets. Bodies, lots of performance options. Dont race the class so dont knowwhats popular right now. ESC to start with a justock once again will work, but you may want to upgrade after a season. Motors... well I'd do same as I mentioned in USGT. Batts, you want high capacity to keep voltage up during a run. As for chassis, you can get used no prob, but I would stick with something less than 2 years old. And that not because older chassis cant compete, it will just be easier to getset-up help with more modern chassis.

Overall, the three can cost about the same, or get progressivly more expensive. Its up to you. Biggest thing is get into a class you think you will enjoy.