R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 17.5 Blinky, too fast for beginners?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 AM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samnelso
Good thread. Seems the majority consensus is 17.5 is too fast for the intro US racing class. I agree. Almost without exception my experience is when someone new (either completely or from offroad) sees a 17.5 TC they are taken aback by the speed.

Breakout racing, legends, VTA/USGT, 21.5 or 25.5 TC are all ideas to chew on.

I'll throw a few more into consideration:
    • Those GT12 cars look like a possibility. RC Madness in Connecticut are running those bodies on regular 12ths with a 21.5 or 25.5 (again can't remember which) with some success. They sure look cool. I'll give them that.
    • RC Excitement in Massachusetts are running the Veterra cars with year and have reportedly sold around 70 cars this season alone. Last club race there were 21 cars and it was only the 3rd or 4th club race of the season. Folks like the styling, initial price point, and fact they are RTR. Speed is also very acceptable to the newer folks - maybe 21.5 equivalent. Although probably the number one key to their success so far is the shop's concentration on marketing and selling the kits, the other elements to their success are in bold. Noted though that the Veterra's the tire cost, body cost, and erratic handling may be long-run deterrents. Time will tell.
    GT12 is quickly becoming our biggest class in Madison, WI. We're running the BRCA GT12 Cup national rule set. We all run SupaStox and the newly released SupaStox GT so far, but other cars are out there or on the way. We are at 15 or 16 racers already and should be over 20 in a couple weeks (as paychecks will allow). Not one person has broken in 8 weeks of testing and practicing or the last 2 weeks of racing. Mind you it is 1S 13.5 and we are set on staying that way. Initial cost of ownership and the upkeep cost is lower than any other class out there and this is for a real racing car, not a toy.