R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Peakki
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
It turns out it was my slipper being too tight! I tried every combination of springs, sway bars, diff fluids, camber links, shock positions, etc., and nothing would stop the twitchiness and grabiness of the front end. I was watching the AE guys with their new B44.3 cars change the suggested 100K center diff fluid out for 60K all day at our track. So I thought, why don't I try loosening my slipper. The manual says the distance between the shoulder and the spring collar should be between 5.0 - 6.3mm and I had mine at 5.2mm. I never could hear my buggy slip so what did I have to lose. Each round I loosened the slipper and each round the buggy got easier to drive. Right before the main my slipper was at 6.39 mm and I loosened it to 6.59mm. That might have been just on the loose side, but the buggy was pretty hooked up front and rear and that was on a dusty track. The only reason I thought it might have been a little loose was because I had trouble clearing this triple right after a hard 180 with no run at the jump lip.

So it seems the problem was that with each punch of the throttle, full power was going to both the front and rear of the car with most of the power going to the front yet still diffing out the rear of the car.

As you can see, my car's ideal slipper setting was outside the range specified by the manual. Could this be the reason some guys are roaching their diff gears even though they have their slipper setting within the range specified by the manual? For me anyway, the manual suggestion was too tight for my high traction track.
That manual info is wrong. For 2013/2014 model: approx. 5.7~6.3mm. Anyway it always should slip, regardless of the surface. See:
XB4 Instruction Manual Supplementary Sheet http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...ame=XRAY%20XB4
2014 models SLS pads are way better than 2013 pads...

I find it also true, that thicker rear diff fluid helps the car during acceleration and out of the corners. Shame that diff fluid ratings are so much different between different brands. I'm using Ultimate Racing diff fluids, which are lighter than AE for example. So usually 10K in front and 5k or 7k in rear...