R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2014 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM
CBear3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimmyMontoya
That's all the motor tech does is gives the average Joe a good feeling. Hand made motors for the team drivers are being tech approved even though they are not really a 17.5 motor. Everyone knows this but nobody wants to say anything. The race organisers don't want to make any of the sponsors mad because they won't sponsor the race any longer. I'm no Gods gift to rc racing, but the speed of some of the cars this year was ridiculous. I was getting pulled 5 to 10 feet down the straight. The average Joe has no chance of competing at these big races. I know I will get flamed for saying something but I think something needs to be done, it's not healthy for the hobby.
You're not friends with the right people on Facebook. Sponsors were mad that tech was being too restrictive. Scotty's not afraid to make waves.

In other news, we've done handout motors in our series for three years now. Since its a series, we maintain ownership of the motors and they're distributed by blind draw. I'd say less than 5% of the racers (even those with motor sponsors) have had a bad word to say about it. If you follow the same regimen we do (tech prior to handout, sealed, and throw out some of the too "good" or too "bad" motors) you could do it for a large event (except the motors would be purchased by the racer in their entry fee).

It helped guys locally not chase motor/rotor combinations monthly, and we actually do less teching of motors now since before guys would bring 2 or three up at the race. Now we only tech what we have to based on pre-entries. It is a large up front expense, which can be pretty worrisome if you predict entries wrong.