R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Jay Dub
Tech Regular

I use the exotek hexes, and like them just fine. As for the JQ guide, I think that much of what is said is accurate, but there is one key concept that is being missed. I have approached this many times over the years, and I find it holds true in nearly every situation. The concept is one of "bell curves" as they relate to setup. Any given peramiter on a car operates on a curve of some type. There will be an optimal setting for a given adjustment as it relates to all the other adjustments on a car as they work in unison. Any deviation from that optimal point will give less than desirable results. Lets take springs for example. Lets say a given car, setup, track, yield optimum side bite with a 2lb rear spring. IF you go stiffer, the car will produce less traction because it is not transfering enough weight to optimise the tires or camber positions used. If you go to a lighter spring, the chassis will roll too much, and not optimise the tires or camber positions used. Either way, the net result is a decrease in overall traction. So, most of opinions expressed here are in fact right as they are expressed sighting emperical data. It is the point of refernce that differs, e.g. where on that curve that you are starting from. One really cannot have a blanket statement saying "this does this", as it never takes into account a direction to look from. -J