R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Wildcat1971
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeleon
So two companies have made a chassis for this car. Something not many of us have been asking for. And yet we still don't have new shock caps or a modified spur. I thought by now someone would have had a new spur and maybe one that would allow other spurs to be interchanged with the center diff. At least RCShox has delivered something that most have asked for in machined pistons so we don't have to drill our own. And then for those that want to remove some slop, there is the new steering bar option.
I talked to someone from one of the Aftermarket companies we use. I asked about the alum caps. I was told, that it is not super easy. You have to basically reverse engineer the threads, since they can be non standard. For instance look at the issues propel have getting the serpent or AE cap "perfect". MY AE caps do NOT go on as easy as the OEM caps. Plus, you need a new mount system. Do you clone the AE/TLR or Kyosho mounting. Ty is using Kyosho mounts. What if in 2 months HB releases Plastic or Alum caps using "normal" standoffs. Will they copy AR/TLR/Kyosho or do their own stuff. There is some financial risk in replacing OEM parts. Look at exoteks TLR 22 bell cranks. Now that TLR released theirs, exoteks sales will drop. If TLR had come up with theirs at the same time as Exotek, then Exotek may have sustained financial loses. With proline showing off their caps for a year, some companies were probably waiting to see if Proline made them. I also thought shock caps were a simple think to reproduce, but I am told that is not the case. As far as gears, I know a few people that want to have them made, but the costs of the molds can be pretty high. If you machine them, you need to find the right material and quality machining to make them good.