R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HV Servos - who's running one in a TC
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 01:04 PM
cplus
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Those specs aren't that impressive, even for 6V
Sorry, misleading, I was merely quoting "typical" minimum TC specs, not the specs of that servo in particular!

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I think most high voltage servo's are designed to be used in nitro vehicles where a lipo receiver pack etc is used.

Skiddins
I think you are right for the moment. Means they can be used for either. But if you have one and get get more performance at higher voltage, surely would look to take advantage at some stage?

Originally Posted by Ho1aw
I use a new brand.
Power star PM-1610. Brushless, full metal case.
And how have you wired it?

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
I have that actual Futaba servo in my electric tc.

Its great, quite similar to a 551, and come nitro season, I can run lipo rx packs on them.
Yep, seems very similar specs to (my) 551, just more torque if you run it at HV

Originally Posted by rhodopsine
Tekin RSX ESC have adjustable BEC voltage to 7.4V

Martin Paradis
Ah, there we go, they are coming. I think this will start to be more common....

Originally Posted by Roelof
Most of the time the + wire of the servo can be re-routed directly to the battery.
Yep, you can do that, but servo performance - and likely your driving lines - will change dramatically from start to end of the run as the voltage of your main pack drops. That would be crap.

Originally Posted by Roelof
But fast 6v servo's can be found with fast speeds up to 0.05sec so there is no need for a HV servo.
If a servo can make the same speed, have more torque, but be more reliable, fit in a smaller, lighter case and use less power - would you consider it?

Oh, but it has to run at 7.4V......

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
The only logic behind a HV low profile servo in a tc, is that you will not have to buy another servo if you decide to put it in a nitro car that runs on a 7.4volt lipo... The protek 160SS is the best out there for the price....lol....
"Only" logic to you maybe.

Get used to all the big brands only having HV options at the top end of their ranges.

"Best" is also very subjective. On paper is one thing. Real world is often another.