R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Please note that fitting the Team Prime shock to the 12R5.x is not plug-and-lay. You need the stock bottom ball cup (the Team Prime one is too short), but then you also need a different ball for the top (the AE one is too large). The T.O.P. balls work (as recommended a few pages back), but take an M2.5 screw as opposed to AE's M3 screw. To keep it from flopping around in the mount, I used a flat-head screw and tightened to the carbon plate to let the cone head sink in and keep it centered. The T.O.P. ball does have a bit of play inside the shock top, though, so I'm still trying to figure out how to tighten that up (need a really thin o-ring, I think).

Anyway, I didn't know any of this when I bought the Team Prime shock, so hopefully you can learn through my struggles. I'd love to hear from other people who have fit the shock for other/better ideas.
I have no direct experience with the team prime product, but with the hot bodies I prefer to toss the ball cups provided and replace the cap with the silva shock cap. this allowed more flexibility on shock length, with short or long ball cups on either end. AE ball cups (short, long or the new TC6 style) all work fine and with std AE ball studs.