R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 PM
monkeyracing
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I suppose this points out the split between two of the reasons to buy a particular brand of body. There's a line between style and function and, for me, that lines moves around based on price. I love the looks of the Tamiya Alfa Giulia. It is, in my opinion, just about the best looking mini shell ever produced. But, I've got to look at it from a strictly racing perspective, heavily skewed by how many bodies I'll go through in a season.

The way I drive (read: crash) I can't spend $45 a pop for a shell, no matter how great it looks. I might be able to talk myself into it, if I wanted to make one a shelf queen, but even my shelf queen came in at under $15. (Blitz Jazz. Club buy. Full pop would've been $20-ish)

Anyway, my concerns are shells that are affordable, work well and don't look completely ridiculous. EG: Tamiya shells looks great and work well, but are pricey. Colt shells (many of them) look silly, don't work but are cheap. HPI shells look pretty good, work well, were cheap, but are now unobtanium. Blitz shells look good, work well and are cheap.

Besides all of that, it's a tiny car whizzing by very quickly. Who's looking at mold lines and livery?

Raman, where can I buy just the shells? Tamiya USA can't sell to us Canucks and the Canadian distributor is useless.