R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Shock tuning, springs, oil weight, etc
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 08:00 AM
Jorge T
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
This thread is intended to give racers a place to list their shock tuning tips and tricks and to aid in resolving problems for newer racers (like myself).

Here's my issue:

After experimenting with the vented shock cap (drilling a small hole in the plastic cap on the TC6.2 shocks) I found the suspension to be very springy and bouncing through the turns. The results were a huge difference from the stock shock set-up.....and it was ugggllly. ....

I used the stock 40 weight oil Associated supplied with the kit for my test, and I installed the RSD 3 hole pistons with the 1.15mm holes....and I was not happy with the results. Should I have used a heavier oil to compensate for the vented cap and 3 hole pistons? After my test logic tells me that a heavier oil would be needed to reduce the bouncing, or are there other things I could do to correct the bouncing problem?....besides using a non-vented cap.

Spring selections made no noticeable difference in the bouncing so the only other variable would be the oil. So, if changing the oil is the remedy how much heavier weight oil would be needed to eliminate the bouncing?

Please feel free to give your advice on suspension and shock set-ups, I'm sure many others could learn from my mistakes....and yours.

So far my only advice to others is to NOT vent the caps on your shocks.
I find the opposite true. no holes in cap = very bouncy suspension on rebound(harder to compress and fast to rebound) as the bladder gets pressurized under shock compression.
What bladders are you using? A soft bladder will slow rebound.

Also how much rebound(how much extension after compression with no spring) did you have when you built the shocks?

FWIW, I run 1.1 or 1.2 3 hole pistons(depending on track), 14-16 lb springs and shock oil range 400-500cst ( 30-40 wt)