R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 01:13 PM
eR1c
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I say you send us the link to get an s800 for $25.
-sorry, my bad, it's not $25, it's $24.90
http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-51402-h...y-p-31072.html
(I've ordered plenty of parts from RCMART over the years, it's better to buy several things in one order as the shipping is a flat rate).

I agree about lowering the COG. The mini body has a tendency of getting "turtled" when we hit an island/race dot.
YES, and I am sick of it! ...no seriously, I think i've hit the dots maybe 1x per weekend, but when you do its disaster.

Granpa,
Another fallacy in Mini ranks is that the flatter the car corners, the better. Not true, cause if the car is flat thru the corner, it's slow. You don't get the proper side to side weight transfer.
This does seem counter-intuitive. I race on-road touring car class and my car is flat, low and solid. I usually get 1st in the A mains.. I can't flip it, it will slide before it flips. I am trying to get this w/ my Mini. -maybe it is an elusive goal, but experience with every other on-road car tells me to keep trying. The Mini body just seems like it lends itself to that "buggy" feel ...I know because when I ran a lap w/ no body at all my car felt like it was on rails. This is why I am targeting the body as my next improvement. I am not satisfied w/ the Mini body. ...i do feel like I am racing w/ a snail shell on my back and it is swaying more than I'd like.

An area that I recognize for improvement in terms of skill for myself is running a better corner. On some corners I am breaking too hard and thus trying to get out of the corner from a crawl. This is hurting me and has most to do w/ my skill. Yet thinking a lower body may give me more confidence to get through a corner w/o having to break so hard for i won't have fear of the high COG rolling me over. Guess I just need to experiment more and practice my cornering a little better, my setup is close, but not 100% how id' like..