R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USGT
Thread: USGT
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM
JRnotEwing
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
I can see your point, BUT, for some on a limited budget it's better to spend the money once and buy good equipment the first time out. It can get very expensive to buy lower tiered equipment, then go out 3-4 months later to upgrade, then upgrading again in another 4-6 months.

After being away form RC racing for 25 years I went out and bought 2 TC6.2s within 3 months of each other. I equipped them with higher end electronics, batteries and motors (etc.) and I only had to spend the money once.

I'm just starting to tweak systems on the cars to get better performance and the best part is the cost is minimal. Shock oil, motor timing adjustments, a front diff, springs, sway bars and gears are not a big expense.

For those of us that can't afford 2-3 wholesale changes (or upgrades) yearly buying once makes a lot more sense.

Consistency comes with practice good equipment comes at a cost, so it's a matter of priorities...and available cash, and everyone's situation is different.
Just so he's not out there alone. I'd say I agree.Once you've decided this is going to be your "Thing", just bite the bullet and buy good equipment as you can afford it. I now have 3 6.2's. The car is hugely better than the 6.1's. Especially if you don't drive real purty and tap walls from time to time.The arm mounts save you a fortune and because they don't bind up, they make you more consistent. The 6.2 lowered my deviation consistently. And I was able to sell my 6.1's while they still had good value. Trying to sell a TC5 is like trying to sell a Vega now.
Yes, I have good equipment. Yes, I do get beat. But it's usually the loose nut behind the steering wheel, not because of stuff. And I can walk away saying I'll work on that. If I'm having a good night, you won't catch me. But it sucks having a good deviation night and not being able to run with the leaders.
And beyond my chassises (Chassi? My stuff lasts. It's mostly the same stuff I've been running weekly for years sans the motor and batteries.And batteries are a consumable. it'd be the same had the D3.5's not been outlawed. But it was because I bought good stuff to begin with once I committed to the hobby. My .02 cents