R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 12:52 PM
LloydLoar
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FireRacer88
Looking for a real honest opinion from someone that has experience with the VBC and the Associated...I have read everything I can and looked at everything on here and I just can't decide what to pull the trigger on...anyone have any insights?
The VBC and AE have very similar geometry. The AE pod is slightly narrower than the VBC rear pod, but that is about it. As such, the cars drive very similarly. The biggest difference, honestly, is that the AE chassis is solid while the VBC chassis has a lot of cutouts underneath the battery. I think this makes the VBC a little more forgiving to drive on higher traction, but the difference is very very small.

I think the VBC pod design is nicer looking than the AE (and potentially has a lower CG), but I can understand wanting to use AE so you can use standard ride height inserts.

I also think the VBC front end has some nice options (caster block spacers and different length braces, for instance), but you will want to order the hardened upper links right away if you run on a track with boards.

AE parts are easy to get almost anywhere, but with the new US VBC Racing (vbcracingusa.com) and the other dealers (such as Timezone), it is really easy to get VBC parts as well. Overall, I would recommend the VBC (I think it looks sexier), but the differences between the two are very very minor and I think you will have a solid car with either choice.