R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Wildcat1971
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
You just want to argue or are you genuinely asking because you want to learn ?

A normal planetary diff like those used in R/C cars will always send the excess power/torque the way of least resistance…….so yes the center diff will contribute in taking the worst load off the drivetrain in many ways just like the slipper.

The thicker the fluid or grease used……the less "slipping" you will have and the closer you will be to a "locked" 50/50 torque distribution.

A thicker fluid/grease will limit the diffs ability to send excess torque the way of least resistance and with that increase the stress on the drivetrain.

A correctly set slipper will also smoothen out power delivery and not bind up the drivetrain letting you go on the throttle harder and more consistent on landing.

A correctly set slipper WILL make you faster, smoother and more consistent.

Bent
lol, I am not trying to troll you. I run on high bite. So wheel spin will be minimal. We currently run clay slicks with no sauce. And I know that the center gear diff transfers power front to back. But unless the slipper is decoupled like the sc10 4x4, it is not really like a center diff. Tekno came out with a slipperential a while back. Seemed like a good idea to save the drive terrain and provide power transfer from the front and rear wheels. But the idea never caught on. My thinking is that the center diff on high bite will heighten the issues with the ring/pinion. I suspect the ring/pinion gear issues are much less on lower bite tracks. I recently moved from low bite tracks to high bite, and the wear and tear on my drive terrain has greatly increased. All that I am getting at is...The steel ring and pinion might make for great option parts, if they are release at the same time as the 2015 car. Just like the slipper vs center diff is an option, stronger ring and pinion gears should be an option as well. The cactus classic has a 13.5 4wd buggy class. And I am sure the lighter ring/pinion gears will be wanted. Plus a 13.5 is not overly powerful and probably wont blow them up. But a 6.5 on high bite will be more likely to. But blaming the drivers for not having the right slipper setting, for blown gears, is a little on the weak side. IMO, the slipper setting arguments are just a band-aid fix.