R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
mschumi101
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So I finally got to run my B5M for the first time this week! Though it wasn't on a track... I received and built the car in June/July and its just been sitting ever since because I've been working a summer job in Northern Wisconsin near no tracks... Very far from the Chicago area I'm used to racing in. Now that I'm back at school at least I'm closer to some tracks and will hopefully be able to actually race it soon!

In the meantime I took the car out on our marching band practice field which is astroturf. I had some Proline carpet tires as I will eventually race the car on indoor carpet this winter (along with clay). With my B44.2 I found that high grip clay and carpet set ups are usually pretty similar- with the exception of slamming the car down on carpet.

I installed an Orion R10 Pro and Reedy Sonic 7.5 Mach 1. I'm using the massive Spektrum SR300 receiver- but I think I did a very good job of fitting everything in the car. I didn't cut any of the plastic in the car... yet. I did however dremel a little slot out of the receiver to fit in the tray. This allows me to run both a shorty or a saddle/brick!

Besides the aluminum A block the car is box stock. I installed an Upgrade RC chassis protector on the bottom.

I should start off by saying I have never driven a 2wd buggy before (I just started with 4wd after a touring car background) As far as handling goes I noticed that it has great off power steering- but had a lot of understeer on power. I'm sure I could tune the car to better suit the conditions but I was just bashing for now. I ran both the saddle and shorty and noticed the car was much more reactive and responsive with the shorty. It seemed a tad sluggish and slower handling with the saddle. I'm not changing much yet as I want to see how jumps/rougher terrain affect the car. Overall I am pleased with the car so far!

Here's some pics of my electronics set-up: