R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jcozz
I'm just looking for some life out of my tires. Don't want to go through a set of tires a day. I'm always at the track practicing.
you haven't indicated what sort of track surface you are dealing with.
at the local carpet track (TQ) I see maybe 1mm of tire wear from a practice day, maybe double that for a new carpet?

with asphalt it really depends on the local surface. at the local parking lot track (glarc), 1/8 foams would last 20minutes (starting full size) when the club first started running on that surface, now the wear is much better. when there was a permanent nitro track (crystal park) it was also a tire grinder in the first years but later when the surface was like glass the wear was very low.

notice, there are 2 consequences to too large a foam tire, poor handling and chunking. poor handling is annoying and chunking is tragic and even more annoying.

how big is too big is going to depend on your situation. if you rotate the tires after each run for even wear and stay off the boards, a set should last a few practice days. note the handling will improve as the tire size drops, so switch in new tires on practice days and save the small ones for race day. if you are chunking sidewalls then you are starting at too large a diameter and practicing false economy.
have fun.