R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Cobra GT
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 AM
TerribleTy
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by willcarrera
Ty,

What steering blocks are you using and what is your cars setup? I have both 0 degree steering and caster blocks and my car just seems out of control. I have 1mil in the front and 30k in the back. I am threw on the 2.0 rear arms a few weeks ago, but am thinking of going back to the stock 1.0. I had a tough day at the track today.
I am using the zero degree aluminum steering blocks with the zero degree caster blocks. Setup wise I am very close to Andy Liu's setup on Serpent.com but I have a few changes to make the car feel how I like it.

I'm assuming you are having trouble keeping the rear end planted so a few suggestions. Try running a harder shore tire on the front than the rear. This will make the car push before you loose the rear. Depending greatly on how you set up the car the added steering (from the zero caster) will cause loss of traction in the rear.

What seems to happen to a lot of the guys I race with is they set their cars up soft and let it roll around through the track. While this works you put your car on the edge of breaking loose every corner. The weight is transferred violently from side to side causing the outer tire to carry significantly more load than the inside. The more you can balance that out the more traction you are going to have through the corners. Keeping the weight still on the outside but being supported more by the inside tire makes for much more control and gives you more time to catch the car if it starts to break traction.

I run black springs all the way around the car with 1.3 insert and 1k oil. I also set the rear of my car up to be as lazy as possible by running long links and the number 4 hole. This is something we were doing on the buggy and truggy so I tested it on yet another cobra. I like the less responsive rear.

Next time you are out try a few things
Run a harder shore tire on the front than the rear example 45 rear 50 front, this will help with rear traction.
Make the car run flat, try hard springs and take almost all the droop out of the car
If you still aren't seeing what you are after try the lazy rear end, long links in the top hole.
Make note of where you are having trouble, ie corner entry corner exit on power off power and we can work more from there. Its really hard to give advice setup wise without seeing the car but we will try.

Let me know how stuff works out!