R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 AM
vwduud
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bbrace3m
i have a couple more questions. roll center, what is it and what is the purpose? if i change the trailing arms inserts what will it do to the car? and what will rear toe do to the car?
Some tools that have I used (and still use) to learn and apply the effects of Roll Center:

http://thecartech.com/subjects/auto_...oll_Center.htm

The above link does a good job of explaining the geometry and calculation of Roll Center in very basic terms with diagrams.

Now, if you want to further that knowledge as it applies to your specific chassis, check out RC Crew Chief:

http://www.rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/Index.aspx

RC Crew Chief is a software tool used to model the chassis's suspension system. Once your model is in the software, you're able to make virtual changes to your suspension to see what those changes affect in terms of performance (push, loose, chassis roll sensitivity, etc.). You can see "where" the front and rear Roll Centers are. If you have a slight push, off power, you can make a virtual change in the software (change a camber link position, for example) to pre-determine the physical change you actually make on your car to overcome that push.

Another benefit includes choosing a good front to rear spring combination. In addition to Roll Center, "Ride Frequency" is another quality found in sprung suspension systems. Take the guess work out of what front springs will work well with the chosen rears. Take the guess work out of the "fine-tuning" of the springs by moving the shock mounting positions on the towers and suspension arms.

Anti Roll Bars are included in the calculations. See what changing the ARB will do before actually changing it.

Very powerful software. I've been using it on both my 1/8 Tekno eBuggy and the AE B5 with impressive results over the past 9 months. Beats the "seat of the pants" method of figuring out what changes we need to make on these complicated racing chassis's.

Feel free to PM me with any questions on the use of this software. While not overly difficult, there is a learning curve in both measuring your car (to get the information into the software) as well as knowing what you're looking for and how to go about setting your car up.

Jim