R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=eR1c;13444850]Quick question,
I realize this has probably been answered, I have read through countless posts and searched all over the web. But still, this question isn't totally answered for me. Figured some of you may know?

I have been racing my M05 in the Mini class, -we follow the TCS rules. Motors have to be stock silvercan, no funny business in terms of adjusting the timing, etc.

I posted much of this awhile back, but it looks as if you missed it. Yes, there are a lot of different Silvercans, but the TCS legal one is the #53689. If you're losing straightaway speed, 9 times out of 10, it's due to a dirty motor and comm. Yes there are duds, but very few of them these days. Maybe there was a little better quality control on these last run of motors.

Cleaning the motor-----warm water, dish detergent and a good shake and rinse works very well

Polishing the comm-----Use an old wire tipped oiling bottle and add a little metal polish like Brasso. My favorite is Mothers chrome polish.
deposit directly on the comm, spin over by hand. It's easier to do if you put the pinion on. Flush out with a stream of water.

This stuff take only a few minutes to do and is worthwhile. I'm sure you'll come up with your own variations to the procedure.

The slot car guys use a Comm drop, VooDoo drops that is very effective. Put one small drop on before each and every run and that will cut down on the number of times you polish the comm and give you a boost for a few laps. You'll find it on e-bay.

There's a lot more stuff you can do to enhance a motors performance, but winning just because you have the fastest motor doesn't prove anything.