R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speed Passion brand new Spec Racing LeMans car - The LM1
Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakoo
Update time!

Saturday I did two stints to test the initial changes, some of which some of you were so kind to suggest, but the rear still came loose in the long and fast left handers, just not as violently as before. The only free fix I hadn't already tried was to balance the electronics better, so I went home and resoldered the cables so I could move the ESC from the side to the center, all the way up behind the servo. Didn't have a chance to test it before today, but on my very first pack I dropped the average lap time by half a second, from 19 to under 18,5. Finally a driveable car!

Unfortunately the track turned slippery just an hour later when a cooling breeze brought dust from the neighbouring sand volley pit, so that was it for my good runs today.

Side springs - tested Tamiya silvers and golds. Silvers gave the best on power grip under bad conditions, the golds were a lot better at preventing sudden oversteer when coming off power - a weight transfer issue? Will try preloading the silvers a bit, and perhaps move the battery a little forward. Good plan?

Pinions and gearing - with the Yeah Racing 21.5T a 72/24 combo yielded the best performance/temperature compromise, but I've retired that motor after testing my Turnigy Trackstar 21.5T. The Trackstar just doesn't heat up! After a pack at 72/25 it landed on 60°C, not bad when the ambient temperature was 29°C and the track 7 million degrees or so. Nice not having to worry about temperatures.
Only ran the Trackstar with two different pinions and in wildly varying conditons, but 72/23 gave the most consistent laps and 72/25 the fastest.
One of the F1 rubber claims he runs his (TRF101, I believe) at a 2.3 FDR, beating the super stocks top speed on the long straight. Not sure how much heavier my 1273g LM1 is, but at least I know I have options.

One last note - before assembling the LM1 I read about wheels not running true, so I didn't think much of it when it happened to my kit too. However, as another driver discovered when checking my car today, it seems I'd forgotten to insert the front axle set screws. No wonder my camber readings were all over the place
It's great you have some very good testing news! I run my esc and receiver in the middle up front, shorty battery all the way forward. My car is almost 50/50 balanced. I have no wiring touching anything that can hinder pod movement at all. I run heavier springs up front to compensate and don't get the wild weight shift or odd pendulum effect. I have enough rear traction mid corner that I don't want any more back there. My car is fairly light though. If you're diff is nice and tight, the rear must be getting the odd weight transfer like you said and snapping directions, almost like the rear end is suddenly rebounding. Try one step down on center shock or up one step on on damper fluid?