R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM
rc23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
sorry, I cant justify a 1000 dollar stock buggy, lol. I did all of the "cheap" things to lower my weight and I am still 1595.

I do not dislike the MM car indoors. Overall its pretty good. I just need some tweaking on high bite. For medium bite, its fine the way it is. Just heavy.

Also,
And this is an honest question without sarcasm. Why do the AE sponsored drivers "almost" always run the RM car in stock? The top gun race is one of the more recent ones. This past weekend at the HRH, the top 3 drivers in 17.5 ran RM cars. In 13.5 they all seemed to run MM cars, same with Mod. I know for a fact that at least one of those guys on the podium in 17.5 owned a MM b5 also.

there was no chassis sponsored drivers in 17.5 at the HRH shootout, it was a sportsman class. The majority of the 13.5 main was MM and those are the top end guys that are most likely chassis sponsored.

I hear you on the money issue, but i will say this... Lets talk about what mods you HAVE to put on a mid motor that the fast guys at your local track arent running on their RM cars..

pucks? on both
ti turnbuckles? on both
lightened top shaft? on both
cut gears ? on both (i woudlnt run them on either, but the fast guys do im sure)
Ti ball studs will be on both depending on how serious the racer is.

So what goes on a mid motor that DOESNT go on a RM? aluminum screws, and perhaps a milled chassis. Thats it. so in reality, you are spending about 100 bucks more to run a MM car in stock than RM.

Now i know you are probably going to say you don't have to put all that stuff on a RM car, but if were going to compare apples to apples in the top end of stock racing, in reality the MM isnt the money pit people make it out to be.

as for why drivers at the top gun race ran RM? youd have to ask them.. but i dont think you can count that particular race as "almost always".. and also its a very real possibility that those guys ran RM simply because they had it. They have 1 RM and 1 MM and didn't care to order an extra MM for a once a year race.

On a side note, this is why stock racing is beyond horrible and should be removed from sanctioned racing