R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 PM
nashrcracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greenbandit
Why have any classes at all? If it is all about putting your car on the track and running laps, why not just put it on the street and race yourself? Why are there classes of "real" car races? My idea of racing a VTA class is to run similar cars with spec bodies, wheels, motors, and such to keep it really competitive and close. I have raced for over 30 years and do not feel the need to just put my car on the track and run laps. I was excited about VTA because of what it represented, and the really cool scale aspect of it. I do not see the point of running minis, FWD's, and VTA's with all kinds of motor, battery, and body combos all at the same time. Doesn't make sense to me, but more power to you if it makes sense to you.
because RIGHT NOW there is no mass for the class that you want to race at that track. but you have to start somewhere and and copping out is a great way to start a class.

so what if you have to race against minis and fwd cars. doesn't scca and imsa and lemans race different classes in one race? you know why they do that? it's because it would be stupid for the track to have a specific race just for 10 or 15 cars when they can get 40 to 45 cars from 3 classes on the track at the same time. if this track just started up there are just trying to get things going and when people see you out at the track they think I would like to do that because I like the style of car you are running and then you have one more and that gets one more and then and then and then!

but if you want a challenge, realize you have to pass or let other cars pass you based on performance difference and driving ability sometimes that to me can be fun also. I have been known to put myself in a slower heat of people just so I can practice that, knowing that I'll be a better driver for it.

but maybe that IS just me.

but it still comes back to if you want the class to race you have to start somewhere.