R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bd581
I understand your point.

However, my thought would be, if your series is ran by Tamiya, I would think it would have been in Tamiya's best interest to take the motor issue completely out of it by putting their foot down and saying, "you must run our branded ESC and brushless motor"

From the outside looking in, it seems the American series has become a motor war, not about who can setup, build and drive the best.
So long as there is no ruling on motor brands, the racing is no longer about tamiya products and will have little benifit to the brand.

Or if Tamiya is showing such little interest, forget them and just do your own thing and go back to having fun again
Like I said, things can get complicated. There was and still is a very good reason for Tamiya not following your suggestion.

The motor war is over cause it took awhile, but the cream always rises to the top. There are a few motors that are competitive and the rest do not do well in a Mini. It may have seemed like a motor war, but it was more of a search for a good motor.

What's interesting was that in the search for parity, we got the opposite, at least where I race. The "fast" guys got faster. The spread between them and the rest of the field got larger. The guys who knew set ups adapted to the higher speeds and the rest of us struggled until we got it right. It's still about driving and set up.

You mistook what I said for a lack of interest on Tamiya's part. What I meant was if a business decision came into conflict with a TCS decision, business would win out. Can't be lack of interest when you consider the many thousands of dollars that Tamiya spends to put on a basically free series for the racers.