R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TEAM POWERS NEW PLUTONIUM MOTORS
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 PM
MeBeMikey
Tech Adept

Finally! Review of the Team Powers 13.5 Actinium motor! Over the past day I've been jotting down some notes.

To start with I used my "starting point" settings with timing on "0" for Round 1. Well, I was very impressed. My Xray T4 was fast and right away went into the 20 laps. On the straight it felt a bit slow but when I looked at lap times I was surprised. I did a 15.35. That's fast! Motor was 67C. Not bad at all!

I went back to the pits. Went over my car. Everything looked fine so I told David Hough of Team Powers that it felt slow on the straight. He said give timing "2" a try. Off I went. I put my car on the track and something wasn't right. It was fast but still the same. Then all of a sudden during the race my car pulled left really hard. Damnit, something's broke. I managed 7 laps and did a 15.32 lap. Hmmmm.....

I'm sitting in the pits and there I see it. I shimmed the servo to close to the steering post and it's binding. Quick fix but I'm still not happy with the speed. I decided to crank it up to timing mark "4"! This should put some more oomph! But guess what!? I'm now going slooooooower and I mean sloooooower but still pulling in 20 laps! Only 2 of us managed 20 laps and 20 laps is not easy.

Oh, geeze, I'v been doing NEGATIVE timing! I've been turning the timing down not up! I spoke to David and he said put the timing up to 1.5 and go out to test it.

Hooooooooooooly Cow! With no changes other than timing my Xray T4 now has more than enough power. I then decide to max out boost and turn up initial drive. I really want to see what this motor can do.

It's finals time and I have no idea how my Xray T4 is going to handle this massive increase power. Off with the warmers and on to the track I go. I practice 3 hard starts to get the feel and my Xray T4 tracked perfectly straight. I'm still worried this might be too much power for me to handle and I'll start overshooting apexes. That's what usually happens to me. I'm nervous now.

Beep, beep........BEEEP!!! And I'm off. Man oh man I'm up on car 1 putting pressure on for the entire half of the race! My T4 was putting the Actinium power down with ease and then all of a sudden car 1 made a mistake and I got through. I held him off and at the end of the race I faded slightly due to my batteries but I held my own. Man this motor is quick and I mean really quick. In my final I beat my PB! To beat your PB in a final with a few tiny mistakes that says a whole lot!

Final two went well but I had to crawl back 4 places after my bodyshell got hung up on my wheel which caused me to spin. Luckily, the same thing happened......My Xray T4 with Actinium power was epically fast. I have done zero gearing testing or boost testing and this is the result. WOW! RESULT! Seriously, I completely guessed my settings.

So, there you have it. The Actinium motor by Team Powers is awesome. It is the best by far that I have ever used in my Xray T4 and to be honest, I'm a bit shocked at the result with no previous testing. The Actinium motor has a lot more to give. Why? Because my 40mm fan failed during the race day and I used a 30mm fan the hardly blows any air. 77C was was my max temp!

EPIC MOTOR in an EPIC car is how I'd describe my day. I was the fastest overall car of the day and took the fastest lap of the day too! 15.02!

Last edited by MeBeMikey; 07-08-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: FB post will not link to my page.