R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4'14
Thread: Xray T4'14
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM
JordanC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
So I have a chassis weight distribution / tweak question. Currently, I use setup wheels to "detweak" the chassis with spring preload adjustments. I aim to be able to lift the chassis up at each end (in the middle of the chassis at each end, with a thin screwdriver) so that both wheels at that end lift off of the setup board at the same time. I first make sure my droop/downstops are even and that my top deck is screwed down without introducing extra tweak, then I go for the lifting/preload setup.

I've also used the Hudy chassis balancing pins to try to have the left/right weight distribution even. With a ~315g 7200mah battery on one side, I still have to add lead weights to meet my 1450g class weight minimum. I'm running a Flow, RX-471, low profile servo and currently a Thunder Power motor, so I have some weight right in the middle of the chassis by the RX, and some in front of the servo.

Here is my problem. I have to add visibly more preload to two of the shocks, one front, one rear, at opposite corners of each other, to get the wheels to pick up evenly. Once I have it set, the ride height is a bit different from side to side, both front and back. What I mean is, at the rear, one side can be JUST at 5.5mm, while the other side is ALMOST at 6mm, though still 5.5mm.

Is that normal? Playing around with extra wight it seems to me that the chassis is heavier in the corners opposite of the ones that need the extra preload. Assuming I'm explaining myself clearly, anyone have comments/suggestions? I feel like I may be screwing up some basics here.
It sounds like your shock towers are not straight. Loosen them, and re-tighten while you are pulling the tower upwards.