R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM
nf_ekt
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I use the data logging feature in my Tekin and it was VERY helpful. I didnt use so much for gearing, although watching real time temps throughout a run helped with other things. One big thing I noticed was my battery voltage. Althiugh the charger said 8.4v when charge was over, I observed that I was only getting 8.15 at the stsrt of a race and dropping dramatically after that. I also noticed motor temps were only at 110-115. (I also run a Tekin 25.5, I dont know if it will pick up a Novak motors temps).

After purchasing new batts and finding same results, it lead me to getting a new charger that I could adjust the peak voltage. Now when I plug my battery into the car I get right at 8.4 volts. I also removd the fan, geared up a couple teeth, and played with the timing. This brought speeds up and improved battery punch even more, but I was able to keep motor temps under 160. As the summer slammed in, temps went up and I added the fan back. Performance change was unoticable, but temps were brought back down to under 160.

I love the Tekin for this factor alone and am glad that if/when I get to attend the Southern Nats that my ESC will now be legal. (I know my motor isnt, I keep a Ballistic in the box just incase). I also like the fact that I can adjust my ESC from my phone. I download the data when I get home. One less thing to take to the track.
It's all pretty cool stuff. I remember when I put a dyno jet power commander on a bike for the first time.. being able to try different maps and see what the differences where, and seeing visually what was going on. Not a direct comparison per se to the tekin esc but the point is you get to enjoy a bit of technology and hopefully get things set to your liking.

So when you wired the Novak motor to the Tekin, did both parts look at you like "no way man ?!?!?" Kind of like asking Ford and Chevy to get along. I won't lie, the first time I switched to Tekin bitd I was happy to do so But I also think the Ballistic 25.5, when you find a good one, is pretty stout.