R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 AM
old_dude
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I'm looking at purchasing a Hobbywing esc. Before I do, I want to get your input on whether or not it's worth it. I live and race in Japan and race 21.5 / 1/12 / 2 cell. I currently have a LRP Flow Competition, it's a nice esc for club racing. A couple weeks ago I participated in Japan's 1/12 Nationals and I couldn't help but notice the power and punch was lacking on the long straight and infield section. The car's setup was there and was really nice to drive and I ended up 12th out of 65 drivers. I spoke with Naoto Matsukura and he said ''Your car looks great, but it's a little slow.'' I'm wondering if the esc isn't providing me with the ''full power'' needed for such high level competition. I run fairly new SMC lipo batteries, and a raced tuned by the owner himself specifically for the race track. However, I was still lacking the 'rip' around the track. I wonder if this was attributed to the ESC?

What are your thoughts? Is it worth getting the hobbywing stock spec? Also, does it come with the program box?
I would not be quick to blame the esc in this case. The 21.5 class has such a low amp draw motor almost any esc will produce similar results. A bigger question is what motor were you running, is your battery top notch, motor timing and chassis setup. The 21.5 class at our track shows that to be fast especially out of a corner, that the car needs to be set up very well. Scrub to much speed in a corner and the car will look slow down the straight. But check the motor/timing and gearing to make sure you are in the ballpark with those first.