R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trinity kill shot motors
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 11:18 PM
John Wallace2
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I have two 21.5 RPM Kill shots, one with the pink 12.5mm high RPM rotor and one with the turquoise 12.5mm High Torque rotor. I'm down to a 3.4 FDR on both motors and they are both fast but still not getting warm (used the 3 second rule and didn't bother with the IR temp gun). Running on a long straight and very open turns. The High Torque version does has some cogging on start but other than that it runs great. Hi RPM rotor version is running 60* timing and the Hi torque rotor version is at 55* timing. Am I lucky or do I have a problem? Most posts are talking about 3.6 FDR and higher. Thinking that on the big outdoor asphalt track I run on the FDR of 3.2 or so might be where these motors come to life. I ran 3.4 FDR last weekend and had the same top end as the winner but he came off the track at 180F and I was about 140F with the 12.3mm broad power band rotor that came with the RPM Kill Shot. Does the 12.5mm rotors make that much difference? Only thing I did when I swapped out the original rotors was to shim the new ones so there was a little more end play on the shaft, just seem too tight to me.
We had a test and tune day at our track and I had a chance to experiment with the FDR on the High Torque version (12.5mm rotor) of my 21.5 RPM KS motor. As I kept increasing the FDR from 3.2, the car got faster and faster. Must say that at 3.6 FDR the car was awesome, turning in consistent laps at or near the fastest lap times from the previous weekend USGT race on the same track layout. Coming off the track at less than 130 degrees after a 5 minute run. Some of the 17.5 guys even came over to see what I was running in my USGT car as they were barely able to pass me in the straightaway. May try 3.8 FDR next, just to see what happens to the lap times. With races, testing, and practice; I have probably the equivalent of 15 races on my KS motor and so far no problems. Hopefully the RPM stator doesn't have the smoking issues others have experienced with the HI torque stator version of the KILL Shot.

Also I have my Fantom FACTS MACHINE II dyno almost up and running so I can check the timing and amp draw of the motor and how different rotors affect the motor in terms of power (watts), acceleration, torque, amp draw, and RPM. This should provide valuable information on how to gear the motor and how to tune the motor.

And as a transplanted former Seattle Sonics fan now living in San Antonio: GO SPURS GO!!!!

Last edited by John Wallace2; 05-30-2014 at 11:41 PM.