R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Durango DEX210 Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Waflet
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dino_D
Droop is how much the suspension can lift from ride height. Lets say max droop is 30mm, running 22mm ride height give you 8mm of droop.
If you raise the ride height to 24mm, you get 6mm of droop.
Normally I like to run between 20mm for smooth tracks and 22mm for bumpy tracks. You can go higher if necessary. Ride height will alter droop. So if you lower your height you should adjust accordingly.

Front droop controls how much steering you have. Reducing droop give you more steering as it reacts quicker to change, while giving more droop makes the car easier to drive, slower it initiate a turn and pushes on corners exit . Also more front droop gives you more traction on acceleration, more weight transfer to the rear, hence why it pushes.

Rear droop. The more rear droop, the more steering you have into corners, so if you start wiping out under braking or entry, you might have too much weight transfer to the front. You need more droop on bumpy tracks, and less on smooth tracks.

Most of the drivers in off-road just measure the length of the shock or distance between the 2 shock mounting points.
Hideeho
While I agree with everything you said, I think there is an easier way to explain it. Droop defines the amount of weight, & therefore traction, that can be transferred from 1 end or side to the other. The end that extends transfers traction to the end that compresses. During acceleration the front comes up & the back goes down, leading to push. During deceleration the front goes down & the back goes up leading to oversteer or loose.

Reducing droop at 1 end allows less traction to be transferred to the other end. Reducing front droop means you will have less traction available for acceleration but more available for steering during acceleration. Whether this is good or bad depends on the rest of your setup & your driving style.

This can also be applied during cornering. In a left turn the right goes down & the left comes up. If this is excessive it can lead to traction rolling.