R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a partner!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 04:19 PM
vtl1180ny
Tech Elite

Dreamweaver is ok, but it doesn't always take into consideration the fact that there's more than just IE out there....

Doing an ecommerce site is a heck of a lot more complicated than using a WSYWYG editor and throwing together some pictures...

If you're on a windows server you need to know asp and unix; php....

Ftp'ing the files up is nice, but you have no control of them that way... Nor do you have control over the site....

I was doing a site for my wife's CFO's son as a cheap favor... Was charging him under 2k for a 170 page site, with a shopping cart... Needless to say the guy wanted it put on his FRIENDS server... First flag goes up.... I ended up pulling the site down the day before it was supposed to go up.... He wasn't happy that it took me a whole 8 weeks to do his site... He stopped answering my emails and I pulled MY work down... He got himself a wyswyg editor and put up a site, it was up for like 2 weeks and never to be seen again.... He was trying to compete with all these online printers and his prices were almost double.... he also insisted that his friend got a similiar one done for like 1k.... I laughed.... I computed my time I put into it at the going rate and I could have charged him upwards of 15k.... Don't matter, I have a template and coding done that I may sell someone else some day....

Anyway....

You can't throw a site up overnight.... Maybe your "about me" pages to send your friends and family.... If you add a shopping cart into the mix you may as well double the time it's going to take....