R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 03:38 PM
QIMB528
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kineteks
Cool design but, though I know that's a killer epoxy, I'd think a two piece design with a 7075 aluminum pad could be nearly as light, cheaper to make and maybe even stronger especially if some of the bonds turned out to be less than perfect.
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. Weight wise, 7075 aluminum version weighs 33.5 grams (without screws holding together); CF version weighs 23.9 grams. Cost wise, I did quote for both versions and the CF version is actually less expensive than the aluminum version without anodizing. Strength wise, the epoxy is a overkill and is actually used for airplanes, a five-minute epoxy from Home Depot is sufficient for this application.

Here is a cross section of the proposed CF RM rear shock tower. I understand that its difficult to see, but the vertical piece is actually inserted into the horizontal piece when bonded. This structure with the two ribs on the side will be sufficient to withstand a lot of impact. Especially when the shock tower is connected to the rear gearbox.

If it were to distort upon an impact, the distortion point would be where the shock is mounting to the tower. CF have a tendency to bounce back as where once aluminum bends, it's bent.